Sitting at an altitude of 234 metres and bordering the townships of Glenbrook, Mount Riverview and Warrimoo, Blaxland is named after Gregory Blaxland, one of the explorers who found the route across the Blue Mountains in 1813.
Previously called Wascoe, substantial development occurred once the railway line was constructed in 1867, and again in the post war years. Today Blaxland is an established residential area, with some industrial land use in the northern section and the only remaining land fill waste facility in the Blue Mountains.
In 2011 the total population for Blaxland was 7,252 and there were a total of 2,775 dwellings constructed for occupation.
Major features of the area include Blaxland Oval, Kookaburra Park, Lennox Park, Major Mitchell Reserve, Thomas Park, Knapsack Natural Area, Cripple Creek Reserve, Knapsack Park and several schools.
Local businesses include:
- Mountain Blue Café Glenbrook
- Como Restaurant, winner of a Good Food Guide Chef’s Hat award for 2008
- Supa IGA Supermarket
- Commonwealth Bank
- Subway sandwich bar
- McDonald’s restaurant (the only McDonald’s in the Blue Mountains)
- Blaxland Day and Night Pharmacy
Local schools include:
- Blaxland High School
- Blaxland East Public School
- Blaxland Public School
For further information on Blaxland please click here