Originally known as “Cross Roads”, Kingswood named was changed in honour of the family of Governor Philip Gidley King. Settlement dates from 1814 when the first land grants were made and then the land was mainly used for farming.
Population was minimal until the 1860s, when the railway came through in 1862. Growth continued during the 1880s and into the early 1900’s. Significant development occurred in after the war, especially during the 1960s.
One of the longer established suburbs of Penrith, today Kingswood is a well-established residential area, with a similar ratio of house to units or strata living.
Given that Kingswood has its own train station, is heavily serviced by buses and is only a few minutes from the Penrith Central Business District, the area attracts those who need easy access to transport.
Major features of the area include;
- University of Western Sydney Penrith Campus (Kingswood and Werrington South Sites),
- TAFE NSW Western Sydney Institute (Nepean College Kingswood Campus),
- Nepean Hospital
- Nepean Private Hospital
- Western Sydney International Hockey Centre
- Chapman Gardens
- Kanangra Reserve
- Kingswood Park
- Peppermint Reserve
- Penrith General Cemetery
- Kingswood Public School – primary school
- Kingswood South Public School – primary school
- Kingswood High School
- St. Josephs Primary School
- St Dominics College
For further information on Kingswood please click here